Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Why you should go to Seville

Down to where it still feels like summer here as it was topping out around 90 degrees here with bright blue skies. Sevilla is only 2 hours from where the wedding is and looking at pictures of the city I knew I had to go there.

Cathedral and Alcazar
The city is well known for it having tapas and flamenco. I can surely tell you they both are prevalent here. Walking down the street expect to hear cab drivers blasting flamenco clapping off beat like they do to the song. I'd definitely want that guy if I was taking a cab.

I stayed at La Banda hostel a block from the cathedral which takes up an entire city block in of itself. The thing is massive considered the third largest in the world behind St. Peter's and St. Paul's in London. What was really nice was the rooftop with a view of the cathedral at sunset. The Brits running the place do a fantastic job.

From the roof!

The cathedral like I said is usually the first stop as it sits right in the middle of town. Alongside the is the Alcazar palace. Getting into the cathedral costs about $11 and I'm not one to pay such a price for another church like that. I did go into the Alcazar because I was still considered a student for a price of just 2€.  And it was definitely worth it for the palace and beautiful gardens it had. I spent about two hours roaming around.

The Plaza Espana lies a little south surrounded by more beautiful gardens and was built for the world fair. You may recognize it as a shooting spot in one of the Star Wars movies. I don't because I've never seen them all.  The detail on the building is just immaculate. As you go around each state is represented with their own little designs like the photo I took of Barcelona's. And the explosion of color is ridiculous. It's just a shame it doesn't have much of a purpose anymore as they only house a few city offices. It resembles more a state parliament building.




The old city is a mix of small alleyways and I was constantly going around choosing whatever way looked more interesting to me.

A more controversial building is the so called mushrooms. They were finished just a few years ago in 2011.



There also is a bullfighting ring for those interested. I was not.



I had only one night to spend and the boys cook every night up on the roof for the entire hostel. But considering that is not a very good Andulucian night out, I went out with the couchsurfing crew where they met up for some tapas across the river at the Triana market. And wow was it awesome to eat some great food and meet some cool people. Definitely the right choice.

Sevilla is an incredibly gorgeous city and is becoming very popular for tourists. It was still swamped in late September and I can't imagine how it would be in summer.

Next stop wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment