Monday, September 16, 2013

Crazy Copenhagen


Beautiful Nyhavn


This was the first stop on my trip. I stayed with Lumbri who I was really fortunate to find him because he really delivered on the experience for me.

I had wanted to go here form long time now because I heard from so many people how nice it was.

I got in off the plane at 1:30 and couldn't meet up with Lumbri until 5pm so I went exploring immediately. I decided to walk the Strøget that starts at the really beautiful city hall. I think the first thing I noticed however was the GTA 5 ads plastered one after the other in the main square.

As for the Strøget or shopping street, it was bustling on a Friday afternoon. This led me to Nyhavn, which is a place to hang out and drink a beer on sunny days. Some go to the cafes, others like myself find a kiosk for a Tuborg not Carlsberg. The area is a little harbor with colorful houses along the sides. This was probably my favorite part of Copenhagen.

I passed through the rest of the tourist attractions (Amilienborg, opera house, Rosenborg castle) But no mermaid statue which is the symbol of the city. Is there a need to see a 3 foot mermaid. Not really.

City Hall

Rosenborg Castle


I headed back to meet Lumbri and went out for a quick pizza. He had a special party, well parties set up that night we were heading to.

The first was at the University but resembled the likes of a dive bar complete with Foosball, a bar which Lumbri helped staff, and pong. He goes there almost every week so he knows mostly everyone which really helped me meet people.

The Danes have an outstanding level of English so communicating is not a problem. And the people are fantastic and extremely attractive. You think every girl you meet is your wife here.

We got here at 6 and stayed to around 12 before heading downtown for a house party. We stayed only a short while before heading to a club. BUT why need a club when everyone is outside drinking in the middle of the street. I think the whole city comes out on the weekends to do this. It really was the craziest thing I've seen and I've been a few places.

Add in the fact most everyone is intoxicated yet still trying to ride bikes. I saw a guy eat it on his skateboard coming home. Then told him about it.

We ended back at the same house party because the club wasn't that good. But there was a huge dance party going on there so all ended well at 5 am.

Malmö was the next day.

Came back and we to dinner around the corner at Pegasus that served tapas style meals paired with great brews. Ended up getting a free one since the waiter forgot my order and made him pay getting a Westmalle.

Lumbri was working at Fermentoren, a bar specializing in local micro beers. Unfortunately 16 of the 20 were IPA's. So I spent some time there chatting with a few people around the bar before meeting Jonas from CS at a skateboarders party. They had help a big competition earlier in the day and now were holding the party at the skatepark located in old warehouses. Really awesome party and cheap prices.

We then went downtown to a bar. I lost everyone else in the chaos after I started chatting with a Norwegian girl for a good hour. Cut off early ended up home at 3 right as Lumbri got of work.

Sorry for the summary of events here as I like to analyze a bit better.

Just know you can drink only pretty decent beer here, party till the sun comes up, and find a wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment