Thursday, September 26, 2013

Die Hochzeit

The hotel I was staying at was its own little town as it was located away from Tavira and Santa Luzia. It had its own supermarket, restaurant, and bar on premise so you never really had to leave the place. Every morning you would wake up to a bright blue sky. The landscaping around the resort was immaculate as well with palms and bright colorful flowers.

I headed straight to the beach to catch the sunset as I got into town late. The beach lies out on an island much like the Jersey Shore is and the only way out is by foot or with the little mini train they have. So I walked not having the patience to wait with the couple making out next to me. It doesn't have any features to it but the beach was amazing nonetheless.



Friday we all headed out in separate cars to the west coast of Portugal near Bordeira about a 2 hour drive from where the resort was. We were supposed to meet my friend and her fiance at a specific beach but turned out to be difficult given the roads here weren't on the GPS. So we ended up at the beach too far north and just met there. Walking to the beach you have to walk down the cliffs and through the tidal water to hit the beach.



We decided we would surf later at the other beach considering the swell here was ridiculous. Just swimming in it was tiring with the rip tide and being battered time after time by 8 footers.



About 5 o'clock we got to the other beach and rented boards for an hour. After a brief instruction from my friend I just went for it. It was my first time surfing and I figured it would resemble snowboarding to some degree. Turned out it was a lot easier and I stood on my first wave. It all went downhill after that being exhausted from the swimming earlier. But I am definitely hooked now.



We stopped in a really small town on the way back home for some dinner. Absolutely fantastic small town charm as the town is built on a hill with the old guys strolling around with nothing to do. You know that type. Dogs wandering the streets.

We ended up stopping in Tavira at the hospital because our friend had a pretty bad bee sting from a few days ago and we also had to pick someone else up at the airport later. So we split up and I went to the airport.

After picking her up we sat on the beach at about midnight waiting until the others were ready. Portuguese hospitals aren't really known for being that quick so they had to wait awhile until a doctor would see them.

Meanwhile we sat down at at a bar for a drink just as they said they were ready and that the sting was nothing serious.

The next day was the wedding so we lounged by the pool all day until it was time to get ready.

Headed to the harbor at about 5 to get on a boat to take us to the beach. Pretty awesome way to arrive I must say.

It was only about 20 people so I felt very blessed to be able to take part with some really great people.

And the setting was amazing as the sun set. I've never seen such a site. The little girls running around reminded you were in a different place though. Added just a little comical note on the side.

Dinner was served, drinks were had it was a great evening. Ended with fireworks and lanterns on the beach.  I really will never forget that.

Taken with the Ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment