Saturday, October 5, 2013

Paris

Paris is really a fantastic city as this was my second time here. I was staying with my same cs host as last time as we still often have contact with each other.  But I actually have a love hate relationship with the city. Yeah it's beautiful, but the French culture is extremely confusing to me.

The Lourve. A museum. Don't do those. Mona who?

Now I know I stand out here because I'm wearing sneakers when I arrive in places. That's very American. Luckily I bought some other shoes in Spain to blend in a bit more. The French think they are a stylish sort of people but really they aren't to a certain degree. Every person wears the same variation of everything. I dressed up as a French person for Halloween a few years ago and it was actually a good representation. People really like their striped shirts here. But no one is forward thinking and wears something totally different from the rest.

I actually have been trying to learn the language for a year now so I can become an "insider" so to say. Their culture is fascinating to me. Every little detail must be perfect. Whether it's their clothes, food, or their plans for the evening, every little detail must be taken care of. Take a look in the metro for example and you will not see one person unoccupied. Over 50% of the people are reading something here. A lot of them books. For me nothing is perfect. Being sophisticated is not something I need to be.

Now for what I actually did in the city. Since I saw most everything already I just walked around like usual. Took some lunch to the Eiffel Tower and strolled over to Notre Dame where I realized they were about to have a mass. So I went to the service for an hour which really boosted everything for me. An incredible experience to take in in probably the most well known church in the world. The lady's singing voice was incredible. I really think they are more talented than most pop singers. Kind of funny to think about.

Make sure the lights are on. Last time I went in was pitch black.
It really is a remarkable place. The design is amazing both in and out. It's one place I don't mind the crowds. But they did stick this stupid stage bleachers in front of it for a reason I'm not sure of. I believe it's only temporary.

I met Jean for lunch the next day by the Opera as he took an hour break away from work to meet me. Went to an awesome bistro for a sweet lunch deal ordering some filet and nice mousse to finish. After he suggested I go to this perfume museum which I did. And it was free so I liked that. I had my own little guided tour by Klaudia a really attractive girl. Too bad I was leaving in a few hours. But really interesting. Again, a very French thing to do as they always have to look good and smell good too.

Took the TGV, one of the fastest trains on the planet, to Karlsruhe. We hit 290 kmh or 180 mph.




No comments:

Post a Comment