Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Meine zweite Heimat

Munich is where I consider I really went to school. Yes I was only here a semester but I became more attached to the city than I was at UPark. I consider it the best city in the world. It is consistently ranked in the Top 5 in quality of living.



I was staying with my buddy Manuel who has a sick one room apartment overlooking the city. At night you could see the giant glow of the Wies'n.



I got into the city in the afternoon and was meeting another friend at Oktoberfest at 5:00. So I dropped my bags into the Hauptbahnhof lockers, put on my Lederhosen and headed for the Innenstadt. Specifically Zum Augustiner to have the best beer in the world and get a bite to eat. It's great to be able to wear Lederhosen without people giving you funny looks like at home. It's extremely traditional to see it on Sunday around the city even when Oktoberfest isn't taking place.

After beer and Leberkase I headed for the happiest place on earth. Not Disney World.

For me Hacker Zelt is the prettiest one of them all so we headed there and got right in. Since the table reservations were changing it was a prime time to find space at a table which is normally very hard to come by. But Germans love me so we got one of the best seats in the house on the balcony with a bunch of other dudes who were there together with their company.

One thing I don't like about Germans is it seems I do the work to bring the girls over and they steal them away from me. I don't mind much but it's a little rude not even a danke.




But it was a great first night.

Thursday I was back with Manuel at the Wies'n in Armbrustschützenzelt. I always end up here because it's the easiest place to get a table.

We sat with Manu's friends right next to an extremely intoxicated Italian guy. I just had a feeling something bad was going to happen. So about an hour later some other guy came by and started shoving each other. The Italian guy had a Maßkrug in his hand and I could just tell what was going to happen. Bam! Right in the guys face next to his eye. Shattered glass everywhere. So other people started tackling the one guy and I ran to get the security. I come back and see the other guy dripping blood all over. I've never seen anything that bad.

I continually think what could I have done to prevent this. I kind of feel bad about it but there are just some real assholes in this world I guess.

I ended up later in Ochsenbraterei to meet up with my old roommate there. It took me forever to find her but it was so nice to see her again and have a few Maß together. That really cheered me up to hang with her again.

Manu and I headed for the rides specifically the bumper cars. And the Toboggan which is a main attraction to watch here.

It's really just a slide for kids but drunk people take the challenge because to go up one must jump onto a moving conveyor belt. Of course this results in numerous crashes into the sides, ending up on your back with the dirndl over your head showing the world what you got, or trying to run up like I ended up doing. Somewhere there's a video of that. Just YouTube it to understand what I'm talking about.

The next day we went hiking to Tegernsee. It's known as being a fancy village for Münchner vacations and also the beer. It's probably my favorite beer I've ever had. But first we trekked up some mountain to have a breathtaking view. I think this is why I love this place. There's always a hut somewhere serving food and beer so we stopped for a quick snack.

From the hut

Going down



The top!

We did stop at the Braustüberl on the way back. Absolutely fantastic day. And the nightcap was yet to come.

Leberkase! And Tegernsee!

We headed for Oktoberfest but as it was a Friday the day after Germany's day of independence many people had off work. Thus all tents were full. So we drank a few beers outside and I decided to head back to the apartment to meet up with the guys later to go out.

We ended up at Kong where they play my favorite style of music minimal. It's really fantastic. Only in Germany. We were having a great time until my buddy ended up getting tossed out of the club for being overly drunk and hitting on too many girls. So I brought him home about 3 am.

This city just keeps proving to me it's the coolest there is. Summer to Winter there's always a festival or an opportunity to head to the alps just an hour away. Try sledding here if you never have. That's an experience.
Little things like the guy in the elevator asking me if I was going to watch the champions league Bayern match because I was struggling to carry 5 beers back with me because they don't give you bags here. Just that made me a little happier inside. I love this place and always look forward to the next time.

Asamkirche. A place I never was before. Don't know how I missed this.



No comments:

Post a Comment