Sunday, October 27, 2013

Last Stop Warsaw

I stayed here one night on Sunday after taking the train in from Berlin but did not leave the hostel at all since I got in late.



Cities like Warsaw, Dresden, and Rotterdam (all places I visited) were left in ruins after WWII so they are somewhat "new" cities.  Obviously  fter the war Poland belonged to the USSR ruled by Stalin.  He came in. and built the communist apartment blocks you think about today when thinking of Eastern Europe.  By the way this is Central Europe While there are many of these blocks on the outskirts of the city, the downtown core is being completely redeveloped.  It's all centered around the Palace of Science which dominates the cityscape.  It was Stalin's gift to Poland after the war however most people found it ugly.  I would disagree with them. I think they say that only because Stalin built the thing.




Wide boulevards surround it along with skyscrapers and a giant shopping mall opposite the train station.

I had planned on going to Czestochowa but missed my train since the ticket lady had plans on chatting and eating for 10 minutes. Also because the machines don't accept large bills. I'm flexible.  So I walked up to a hostel and booked it for one night.  Sweet location right on the main drag.

My first day being a tourist I walked to the old town.  Obviously this was rebuilt after the war.  There wasn't too much going on there so I moved on and headed for the Uprising Museum.

Old Town
On the way I found a farmers market and bought the second tastiest apple I've ever had for about 15 cents. The tastiest was from my buddy's grandfathers farm in Bavaria.

The Uprising Museum documents the failed Uprising of 1944 against the Nazis.  180,000 Poles died. Warsaw almost failed to exist after it was burned to the ground.  The film was what really moved me. When we think of WWII we center more on other countries and kind of forget what Poland went through. It's a terrible history almost impossible to believe. 

You may say yes I went to a museum but I felt this one is worth it and something I was interested in learning more about. Definitely check this place out if you have the chance. 

To eat check out the milk bars, relics of the communist era. These serve homecooked Polish cuisine and are still subsidized by the government. I got a schnitzel with potatoes and salad for about $3 one night. I ate there both nights because I thought they were so awesome.  It tends to attract the homeless and students with the prices so low.  So one drunk came in and started yelling at these other people speaking english. I think it had to do something about communism. Probably for him his life was much better.  It's funny to think about how in that system everyone earns equally and is able to afford a life.  Obviously something this guy wanted back. Well he was warned by the hostess to stop which he did but still muttered under his breathe.

My meal with "the guy"
As for my evenings, I watched the Poland-England game the first night and went to the CS meeting the next. Since my flight was at 6am I decided I would just stay out all night. I left my bags in storage at the hostel without booking a room.

The CS meeting was right next to the hostel at a place called Barometer. Later on we went to a more upbeat place playing music. More vodkas and dancing and it was time for me to head home already.

Since this is my last article I feel I should summarize a bit all the happenings and memories I've made on this trip. Definitely the highlight being the wedding in such a beautiful place with awesome people I will always remember. Being able to hang with my great friends again in Germany something I hope will continue to happen and know it will.  The crazy streets of Copenhagen, biking through the Netherlands, Spanish skies, and of course Poland's comforts.  I want to keep this blog alive and add some other side trips I take but know I will come back to this soon because I have a lot more places to see outside of Europe.  Until then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment